Tuesday 28 February 2012

Spring has sprung.

It feels like spring has arrived. Hallelujah! It is my favourite time of year. From the end of January I am desperate for a glimpse of the bright green of a new leaf or the top-knot of a daffodil. I almost felt like crying when I saw the carpet of snowdrops in a nearby churchyard the other day. I nearly took a photo, but realised that it was a tiny bit dangerous abandoning my baby and car just to get material for a blog. I don't know why spring has such an impact on me, every year I feel grateful to see another one (Drama Queen). This year, my joy at seeing spring arrive has taken on a whole different significance. This year I can introduce my new little one to lovely spring. He had quite an interesting start in life. He had heart surgery at five days old, so every milestone feels more special. Spring is the time to celebrate new life and I am going to do my darnedest to celebrate the life of my baby and his brother.




As this is a blog about places to get a good cuppa and a tasty slice of cake - with a baby in tow - I have some suggestions of places to get a yummy nibble and enjoy the spring sunshine with your family. Firstly, I went along to Wistow Rural Centre. It is set in beautiful countryside near Market Harborough. As you drive along windy roads towards the centre, you pass newly laid hedges, fields, little bridges and locks on the canal. Wistow has a garden centre, an accessories and handbags shop as well as a cafe. There were lots of other customers, including mums and babies, there was a ramp up to the cafe and baby changing facilities. I asked the lady who made the cake what she would recommend and I ended up with a slice of Rocky Road. The sandwiches and breakfast that the couple at the next table were eating looking pretty tasty too.



 I also went to the other side of Leicestershire, to Cattows Farm near Coalville. I had heard about this through Groupon as they offered a half price Champagne High Tea there. We went for Sunday lunch in the end which was one of the tastiest I have had, but while we there we saw some lucky couples having the afternoon tea with added sparkle! There were many home made cakes which looked beautiful and while we were there we tried a chocolate and cream sponge cake which was as light as a feather. We bought a selection of the cupcakes to take home. There was even a spring cupcake to go with the sunshine.


The views over the Leicestershire countryside were lovely and in the spring sunshine it was perfect. They have a farm shop too and they sold a book called 'the Teapot Trail' which has suggestions of other tearooms across the region. I will be trying some of them out!



 Spring is almost here. I can feel my sap rising....ah, that is what got us in the situation in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment