Sunday 18 March 2012

It's the little things...

I keep hearing how mums don't want expensive presents for Mothers Day, Maybe it's because of the credit crunch, but apparently, they would rather have a lie-in or a handmade gift. Now, I would never turn down a designer handbag or a pair of diamond earrings, but I have to agree.

I wanted to give the Grandmas something unique and so I have been having a lovely time with my boys doing some hand printing. It is extraordinarily difficult to do hand prints, when the five month old in question refuses to unclench his fist and when he does, proceeds to suck his paint covered thumb. Fortunately, I had used baby friendly paint, but, blimey, I started to worry after seeing a little black tongue in his mouth. Eek. The finished results were lovely though. And, it is much easier to do hand painting with an eight year old.



Simple but very effective. That's all we need for Mothers Day isn't it?

This is my first year being the mum of two boys. It has been a logistical feat to organise seeing every Granny, Grandma and Great Grandma and ensuring they all had a card and a little something. We managed it, but I was so concerned about making it all special, I started to whitter about it all. Whittering about the restaurant and the presents and the timings and remembering everything - whittering so much I was in danger of spoiling it.

We had a carvery lunch with most of the family. By the time we all arrived and had a drink, we were advised we only had the table for a certain amount of time and that time was running out. Normally, this is isn't a problem, we don't usually have starters or pudding so we are pretty quick, but I had been looking forward to warm gooey chocolate brownie or unctuous cheesecake to celebrate Mothers Day. We were out of time though so went for coffee at my mums. This was great, we got chance to play pass-the-baby and be a little more relaxed. But I did really want a pudding (I didn't stamp my foot, but my bottom lip did quiver just a little bit.)

After we got home, I sorted out the baby and had a cup of tea.... when I went back to the kitchen there was a box waiting for me.



Inside the box was a piece of cheesecake. Unknown to me, baby's daddy had run to the pub down the road to get me a pudding.  



As I mentioned before, I wouldn't have turned down a handbag or diamonds, but actually, forget all of that, a slice of cheesecake and some handprints were the best presents I could have had. It's not the recession that can make a smaller gift the best, it's the thought that goes with it and the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment