Wednesday 14 March 2012

Bad good hair day

I went to have my hair done today.....ahhhhhhhh, lovely.
Granny and Grandpa came too so they could push the baby around while my roots were dealt with and locks shorn. Talk about luxury. My stylist and I talked about sci-fi television (True Blood and Grimm), he complemented me the gorgeousness of my baby, then I ate a Birds cheese and ham roll and read Marie Claire. Seriously, all I needed was an chilled glass of Champagne and it could have hit the heady heights of perfection.

But, there was one seriously dark cloud hanging over my otherwise blissful afternoon.

I had forgotten my phone!

How is it possible that a microchip surrounded by a bit of plastic can make or break my mood. I am old enough (but look far to young according to my hairdresser) to remember not bothering with a mobile. I barely used it when I had one. What happened? How can I feel insecure just because I have left my phone on the sofa? It's like an addiction.

I actually don't have the answer. But, a big part of it has been down to the baby. My phone has been my baby-feeding friend. It is small enough to fit in the palm of my hand while I have baby on my knee. In order to occupy myself during long feeds, I started looking at Twitter, then Facebook, then blogs and then I started writing my own blog and then tweeting myself (a monster 24 tweets so far, but bear with me!) The act of feeding a baby is as old as time - now enhanced by cutting edge technology. And don't they make a good team.

But I do worry when I don't have my phone. I don't feel as safe driving around on my own with the baby without it. It's not as though I am going to darkest Peru without any way of contacting the rest of civilisation is it? I was only going a few miles to the hairdressers. I must have looked a bit frazzled as my mum actually lent me her phone. It wasn't the same, but it seemed to quell the little flutters of panic when I remembered I didn't have my mobile. And, to add insult to neurosis, I had been looking forward to a little blog time - on my phone.

According to Grazia this week (what else?), I am not alone in my phone obsession - apparently, there is a phobia relating to fear of losing your mobile phone. It's called nomophobia.

I think I have got it.

As Joni Mitchell sang, 'you dont know what you've got til it's gone'. Well that's how I felt - I had the no-phone blues - and I got them bad.




1 comment:

  1. I spent a huge amount of time breastfeeding while on my phone, and that was also when I started using Twitter and reading blogs!

    I also feel lost without my phone. I've had one almost as long as I've been driving, and I can't imagine setting out on a long journey without one!

    ReplyDelete