Wednesday 25 April 2012

When the t-shirts had to stop...

When The Kissing Had To Stop is a novel published in the 60's about a possible Soviet invasion of England. This blog post is not about a Soviet invasion, it is about my wardrobe. I just thought it sounded funny(!)

I have nearly stopped feeding my son myself. He is being bottle fed and I only feed him in the morning and evening. I love being able to feed my tiny one, but the practicalities of going back to work have meant I need to wean him onto a bottle. This is actually going very well so far and he is happy. By the end of the month, he will just be on bottled milk.

That's going to be ok.

We can do it!

It is a wrench, but the most significant upside to this transition is that I will be able to wear dresses again, or tunics or vest tops. Basically, all the outfits I stopped wearing while I have been breast feeding because now, I don't need to keep shoving a baby up my t-shirt.

The t-shirt thing started almost straight away. When the baby was born, we had to stay in hospital for a while. I had only taken a couple of bits with me when I was admitted onto the labour ward and I wasn't expecting to still be there two weeks later. All I had was a maternity tunic (nice nautical blue and white stripes) and white leggings. This was perfect at the end of my pregnancy as it was roomy and comfy, but in order to feed the baby, I had to hoik a couple of metres of fabric up around my neck. This would have been ok-ish at home, but on a children's ward in a busy hospital, it was a tad embarrassing.

I had to call in the reinforcements.

My mum went and bought half the t-shirts in Top Shop and Dorothy Perkins and I was saved! Baggy t-shirts to save my blushes and also covered my slowly diminishing tummy.
Since then, this has become my mummy uniform. I wear a t-shirt, jeans and a cardy pretty much everyday. I might jazz it up with a jacket or a scarf, but it's my style. And I like it.

But, now the time has come to make a change. From now on, if I see a dress I like, I can buy it, or even consider buying it, knowing I will be able to wear it, rather than the dresses I have bought in the last few months which are still in their bags in the wardrobe.
So, goodbye t-shirts, see you at the weekend. Hello dresses, let's get this show on the road!

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the new dresses - and you - next week! I haven't had any new clothes for ages.Well, I did buy a couple of thin sundresses in Oz last month, but they're not for work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the things that I found frustrating about breastfeeding, not being able to wear so many things! Looking back, with my first I should have just invested in some lovely breastfeeding tops, but they seemed so expensive and I was too mean to buy any meaning that I too just lived in baggy t-shirts!

    Congratulations, you've done really well to feed your son for so long!

    ReplyDelete