Friday 13 April 2012

Culinary masterpiece

I could be described as a wonderful mummy or possibly having a slightly loose screw.

On the last day of the Easter holidays, I ventured out to Twinlakes near Melton Mowbray. I went on my own with an eight year old and a six month old. Both boys are very well behaved, but even my mother kept asking "so, you're going on your own?" as if she couldn't quite believe it. It's almost like I had suggested tackling Everest. I know what she means though. There have been times in the past where I have had a minor nervous breakdown after losing children in amongst the climbing frames and rope swings or having to negotiate with a child whose life will end if they have to leave the park now. But that was a while ago and I do have a very grown up boy, who, if given a bit of responsibility, rises to the challenge like a superstar.



If you are ever in the East Midlands and need something to occupy your family, I would really recommend Twinlakes. It was a working farm and still has a lot of animals for children to look at. It has two enormous 'barns' full of smaller rides, huge slides, a ghost train, bouncy castles and soft play for tiny ones. Outside there are mini roller coasters, a log flume, a train, boating lakes, a wild west village and a castle which doubles as a climbing frame. The coffee and chips are pretty good too! The newest addition is an outdoor water play area. It looks fantastic, but considering our weather, it takes a very brave soul to actually don a swimsuit and dive in. There were only three daring dudes on the day we went. It would have to be blooming tropical to get me in there, but given half a chance my hot blooded big boy would have gone for it. It took a bit of diplomacy to suggest that indoors might be better in 9 degree April.



It was a great day, and although he hadn't got a friend or a grown up to play with, the big boy had a fab time. The high point for me, bearing in mind I couldn't go on the death slide as I was with the baby, was our lunch.



We had our own picnic with the components to build the worlds greatest sandwich - the dairylea and crisp sandwich. This is a delicacy I was introduced to by my mum when we were on school holidays and I, in turn have passed it on to my children. (This is the limit to my passing on culinary secrets, my mum tried, but I think my brother inherited the family recipes. I do make a mean sandwich though.) While we were enjoying our lunch, my son decided to add a new, daring dimension, trying a dairylea, crisp and chip sarnie. Now, that is hitting carbohydrate heaven. It worked too, we even added tomato sauce for an extra twist.



Next time though, I think I will stick to just dairylea and crisp. You can't mess with a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment